If we talk about content marketing which is part of a marketing strategy, it cannot be separate from digital marketing.
Memes as marketing content in some social media, I think memes are funny, or as humor and jokes, but why many famous brands such as Nikelodeon, Gucci, Norwegian Airlines, Barkbox etc., Meme users for marketing strategy is known as "Memejacking".
Here are some reasons why memes are effective for Marketing:
1. Memes are funny, so that they are easily accepted by the target market, memes are also considered effective as a marketing strategy when the market is getting bored with advertisements scattered around.
2. Memes are considered as fresh content, which can quickly go viral, so that it will directly or indirectly increase brand engagement.
3. Due to the funny nature of memes, it will be easy to share, so that likes and feedback will increase drastically so that brand awareness will also increase.
4. Memes can understand the character and habits of the target market, so memes are considered more effective for digital marketing than the ads we usually encounter.
5. Memes are easy to change according to trends so that they will quickly go viral, although a lot of meme content doesn't last long, but the most important thing is that memes have captured the moment when the meme was popular and adapted to consumer behavior.